Being a Centre of Excellence of TWAS (The World’s Academy of Sciences) since 2019, Izmir Institute of Technology is inviting esteemed researchers from the developing countries in the South to be hosted at IZTECH under TWAS Schemes. Applicants interested in visiting our Institute for two to three months may apply for the TWAS-UNESCO Associateship Scheme. Upon contacting with International Office (mailto: firstname.lastname@example.org), the prospective Associates are guided to find a host in our Institute. If the faculty member agrees to host the researcher, s/he then provides the applicant with the invitation letter, and the researcher can apply himself/herself for this call via TWAS’ online portal.
Deadline: 12 December 2022
Open to: applicants from developing countries from the South
Field: natural sciences
Applications for the TWAS-UNESCO Associateship Scheme are open. In collaboration with UNESCO and a number of centres of excellence in the South, TWAS has instituted a Joint Associateship Scheme to enable competent researchers from the South to visit these centres regularly.
In 1994, in cooperation with UNESCO, TWAS instituted an Associateship Scheme to help counteract the brain drain affecting many developing countries. The program supports regular visits by researchers from developing countries to centres of excellence in the South. Almost 300 centres of excellence in the South have agreed to participate in the program. An associate is appointed for three years during which he/she can visit a Centre twice for research collaboration.
- Applicants must hold a PhD or equivalent degree. The selection of associates is highly competitive; appointments are made on the basis of merit.
- Special consideration is given to scientists from isolated institutions in developing countries.
- Women scientists are especially encouraged to apply.
Eligible countries are Developing countries in the South.
The applicants whose research falls in one of the following scientific areas are eligible to apply:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Structural, Cell & Molecular Biology
- Biological Systems & Organisms
- Medical & Health Sciences, including Neurosciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Engineering Sciences
- Astronomy, Space & Earth Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- The Associateship covers the associate’s travel expenses and a monthly contribution of USD300 towards incidental local expenses.
- The host centre (IZTECH) covers accommodation and food, and provides the research facilities.
How to apply?
Applicants need to upload the following documentation:
- scanned copy of the applicant’s passport, even if expired (page with applicant’s name and surname);
- supporting Statement from Head of Home Institution;
- the applicant’s curriculum vitae (no more than 4 pages);
- the applicant’s full list of publications;
- PhD certificate;
- two letters of recommendation by two referees, one of whom should be from an expert from another country;
- a recent invitation letter – on the host institution’s letterhead paper – from one of the Institutions listed in the files available here. It should contain the proposed time of the visits (two to three months for each visit) and should refer to the proposed cooperation. It should be made evident that the applicant and the proposed host have been in contact regarding the scientific work to be done during the visit and that the conditions for conducting the work have been agreed in terms of the timing of the visit and the facilities available.
Please be advised that applicants may apply for only one programme per calendar year in the TWAS and OWSD portfolio. Applicants will not be eligible to visit another institution in that year under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes. One exception: the head of an institution who invites an external scholar to share his/her expertise under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes may still apply for another programme.
Please be sure to understand the eligibility criteria and other key requirements that are also specified in the online application form .
Contact email (TWAS-UNESCO Associateship Scheme): email@example.com
For more information, please visit the TWAS-UNESCO Associateship Scheme webpage.